Justin and Brooke

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Brayden Everett Doggett

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Healthy Recipes (from Cooking Light)

Those of you who know me, know I work at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi. We pride ourselves on being a health and wellness company. In fact, if it wasn't this company....I would still look like a beach whale. Let me clarify, I kind of let myself go during my pregnancy. I took the saying "I am feeding two people" to the extreme. I would eat Oreos and Samoas before and after dinner. Needless to say, I ended up gaining 47 pounds. Although I am still not to my desired weight (it takes time people...I know my child is almost 14 months but those last few pounds are VERY difficult to shed), BCBSMS allows me to workout while I am at work and educates me on ways to eat/live healthy.

With that said....the editor of Cooking Light and my recipes presented at one of our nutrition classes called "Breakfast in a Bolt." Here is one of the recipes she provided us:

Breakfast: Blueberry Power Muffins with Almond Streusel

Ingredients:
Muffins:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups vanilla low-fat yogurt (Greek yogurt has more protein and other healthier ingredients)
  • 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil (this is the healthier option of oils without flavor...Olive Oil is healthy but has an added flavor)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
  • Cooking spray
Streusel:
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Preperation:

Preheat oven to 400°.

To prepare muffins, lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine yogurt, milk, oil, vanilla, and egg, stirring with a whisk. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Fold in blueberries. Spoon 2 rounded tablespoons batter into each of 30 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.

To prepare streusel, combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, almonds, brown sugar, and butter. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Serve warm or at room temperature.

(This recipe was borrowed from myrecipes.com)

***I love this recipe because you can make the muffins ahead of time and freeze them.

3 comments:

Annalee said...

thanks, brooke! and you are not alone in the gained-50-pounds-but-haven't-quite-lost-it-all category! you look GREAT!

Abbi said...

Sounds yummy! Can't wait to try these.

Abby said...

Yay for Healthy Recipes! Have you found the Gina's Skinny Taste blog? She has really good ones, too. I'm getting famished reading about them!